About Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) is a small deposit scheme Launched by the Ministry of Finance exclusively for a girl child. SSY was launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 22nd January 2015 as a part of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign. The scheme is mainly meant to meet the education and marriage expenses of a girl child. this scheme encourages parents to build a fund for the future education and marriage expenses of their Girl child.
Since the inception of the scheme, around 2.73 crore accounts have been opened under the scheme, having nearly ₹ 1.19 Lakh Crore deposits.
Objective Of This Scheme
- To provide an improved system so that parents can raise/save money with a high interest for their daughter’s marriage and education.
- The parent or legal guardian can open an SSY account on behalf of a girl child until she reaches the age of 10.
- The girl child must be a resident Indian.
- In a family, up to two accounts can be opened for two girls.
- A third SSY account can be opened in the case of twin girls.
- Every account holder shall have a single account under this Scheme.
- The Minimum Investment is ₹250 per annum; The Maximum Investment is ₹1,50,000 per annum. The Maturity Period is 21 years.
- At present, SSY has several tax benefits and the highest rate of interest among all the Small Savings Schemes i.e. 7.6%.
- The principal amount deposited, interest earned during the entire tenure, and maturity benefits are tax-exempt under Section 80C.
- The account can be transferred anywhere in India from one post office/Bank to another.
- Interest payment even after maturity if the account is not closed.
- A premature withdrawal of up to 50% of the investment is allowed after the child gains the age of 18 years even if she is not getting married.
- Birth certificate of the girl child
- Photo ID of applicant parent or legal guardian
- Address proof of applicant parent or legal guardian
- Other KYC proofs such as PAN, and Voter ID.
- SSY account opening form.
- A medical certificate has to be submitted in case multiple children are born under one order of birth.
- Any other documents that are requested by the bank or post office.
How To Apply
A Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) account can be opened at any participating bank or Post Office branch. To open the account, complete the steps outlined below:
- Go to the bank or Post Office where you want to open the account.
- Fill out the application form with the necessary information and attach any supporting papers.
- Pay the first deposit in cash, check, or demand draught. The payment can range between Rs.250 and Rs.1.5 lakh.
- Your application and payment will be processed by the bank or the Post Office.
- After processing, your SSY account will be activated. A passbook will be supplied for this account to commemorate the account’s opening.
Check Your Application Status
you can check your daughter’s application and payment status by going to your default bank or post office from where you have apply for the scheme