About Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
With the objective of providing rural connectivity, the Government of India launched the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (referred to as PMGSY-I hereinafter) on 25th December 2000 to provide all-weather access to eligible unconnected habitations with a population of up to 500(Census 2001) in plain area and 250 and above in Special category States (States of North East, Jammu, and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand), Desert Area as identified by Desert Development Program and 88 selected Backward Districts as identified by the Ministry of Home Affairs/Planning Commission as a strategy for poverty alleviation.
Objective Of This Scheme
The primary objective of the PMGSY is to provide connectivity by way of an all-weather road (with necessary culverts and cross-drainage structures which is operable throughout the year) to the eligible unconnected habitations in the rural areas with a population of 500 persons and above (2001 census) in plain areas.
- providing the rural areas with the betterment of socio-economic
A region must be a habitation. It cannot be a hamlet or revenue village to be eligible for the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
2. The Central Government describes habitation as a population cluster residing within an area that remains constant over time. Some of the local words used to describe a habitation are:
Majras, Desam, Hamlets, Tolas, Dhanis
3. The hamlet must have a higher population as per the 2001 Census to be eligible for road connection. The eligible habitations have a population of above 500 persons in plain areas and around 250 persons and above in hilly areas.
The benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) are –
1. All-weather connection to the hamlets that are least or not connected.
2. Overall Development of the country allows for easy movement of goods and vehicles.
3. There are better employment opportunities for those from villages thanks to road connections.
The list of road works to be taken up under the Programme will be finalized each year by the District Panchayat in accordance with the allocation of funds communicated to the district. The District Panchayat has to ensure along with the consultative process, that the lists of proposed road works are part of the Core Network and that new connectivity is given priority
TO KNOW MORE DETAILS ABOUT THIS SCHEME YOU CAN VISIT THE GIVEN LINK